Saturday, July 13, 2013

Putting the pieces together while travelling to 1997.

On Friday, 12th of July in 2013, I was transported back to the 1990's say, 1997? Okay, that is a fucked up way to start a blog posting. People are running away now from this blog, citing that I'm a crazy person. Boy, did I make the people who seriously believe in time travel very angry.




Thanks to the folks at Hatchy's in Utica, MI (The big owners of this bar are the Hatcher brothers who have previously played in the NHL), myself, Hollywood Allan, long-time pal Jason and my new friend Amy went back into the 90s with this cover band of the said decade Marc Summerz and the Double Darez.

Their first set was some of our 90's alternative faves, including Gin Blossoms' Hey Jealously. The second set was the pop hits, they even did Britney Spears' big hit and I actually enjoyed it better than the original, however, nobody was on the dance floor for Hanson's MmmBop. Not to say that this band did a bad job of it, but I can say that reminded me of how annoying that song was, and it seemed that most people agreed. Their third set was at random, but that I could remember that most of the songs were from the early 90s, including Biz Markie's big hit, and they did 1989 with "Love Shack."

Fred Schinder (did I speel his last name rite) creeps me out. He looks like a pedophile (I can see some angry B-52s fans commenting: "How do you know what a pedophile looks like, huh fag?" or perhaps, "What, did some guy who looked like Fred Schinder molest you?").

Going back to 08, I was a boring mofo and would rarely do things like hitting up a 90's party. Shit, even in 10 (2010) I wouldn't do much of this. But I was on the dance floor, dancing like shit but able to convince a few girls to dance with me. My friend Jason had also danced as well, but like myself, he got denied quite a few times. I guess even good-looking guys like Jay (unlike ugly fuckers like me) get told to fuck off, even by large fatties who think their shit doesn't stink. Boy, I kinda wished MS and the DD's would go to 2004 and do Outkast's "Roses." Perhaps, I'll ask them next time.



After it was all said and done, I drove Hollywood home. And Jay and Amy went their way, with Jay later not getting any sleep and going to work the next morning. I had saw Jay the next day (today as I'm writing this) and he was up for over 32 hours at that time. Fuckin' Hardcore!

Sadly, their was some bad news to this. Since Jason and Amy work at my aunt's restaurant, one of our co-workers told us the news that one of her friends was shot while leaving Comerica Park (home of the Detroit Tigers) and is in critical condition. There was no further details beyond that, and I do hope for the best. That's sad.

It's been a thought lately when a fun day turns to a day of wonder when you hear of news like this, even if you don't know who that person is.


[Later that day...]

No word yet about that unfortunate incident. All one could do is wait and hope for good news.

Going on, I promised myself a movie saturday and I bought TMNT II from Amazon Instant Video, I just got done watching TMNT I and taking a little break while writing this entry into this stupid-assed blog. Yes, my 31-year-old self is watching the TMNT's.

The scene with Splinter and Raphael had reminded me of the 'enemy' of anger. Yes, although Splinter gets a little dramatic about his speech to Raphael (boy, this is getting strange here), it remind me of the art of pointless thinking. I'm the god-damn king of pointless thinking. My head goes to certain places I wish it never would go.

Back in the day, I would be afraid to mention that I have the trouble of dealing with pointless thinking and the anger and frustration that grows along with it while so. The late George Carlin with his HBO special 'Life Is Worth Losing' about how he is a vessel and doesn't ask for these strange thoughts he gets in his head. Even that when it came out in 05 wouldn't push me into confessing.

But, I confess, these silly and odd thoughts get into my head. They come in all shapes and sizes and at random times. At times where I'm dancing and bumping and grinding at a bar, while working on the assembly line trying to keep the line moving with some creepy fuck trying to get my attention (STALKER!!!), while watching a vintage baseball game on a warm Sunday, while taking a long bike ride, while cruising on Lakeshore Drive in the Grosse Pointes while listening to Toto's 'Africa.'

It will always be there.

I'll close with some news from our world:
Zimmerman was found not guilty: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/07/13/george-zimmerman-found-not-guilty/2514163/
And also, our big Tigers pitcher Max Scherzer picked up his first loss, leaving him at 13-1 (shit happens): http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/07/13/scherzer-goes-to-13-1-with-loss-to-rangers/

I hope for good news about our friend of a friend.

And a quote from Splinter:
"You will listen now. My Master Yoshi's first rule was "Possess the right thinking." Only then can one receive the gifts of strength, knowledge, and peace. I have tried to channel your anger, Raphael, but more remains. Anger clouds the mind. Turned inward it is an unconquerable enemy. You are unique among your brothers, for you choose to face this enemy alone. But as you face it, do not forget them, and do not forget me. I am here, my son. "



No comments:

Post a Comment